Back door garbage pickup is provided once a week on Monday or Tuesday, depending on your street location. All solid waste garbage and trash shall be collected from standard containers (any watertight metal or plastic container with handles or bails, having a tight-fitting cover and containing a volume of 32 gallons or under, weighing no more than 50 pounds), no more than three in number, and from recyclable containers, special containers, or special waste receptacles, placed at the back door of residences or at a place designated by the residents that is accessible from the driveway, as long as they are not in an enclosed garage or other building. The City requires trash to be put in BLACK or WHITE bags so as not to confuse it with the recycle waste in BLUE bags. Be sure all waste is inside the cans or it will not be picked up.
Recyclables are picked up on the same day as your trash service. Your recycle container, which can be purchased from the City for $20 a can, must be lined with a BLUE plastic bag – no exceptions! You can put all accepted items, as listed below, in the recycle container together, unbagged, except glass. We are not recycling glass at this time. Please rinse cans before putting them in your container, as some materials may sit in your container for a week. To maximize the use of your container, you will want to break down all large cardboard boxes and set them beside your container. Click here for more details about what to recycle.
- PAPER – office paper, magazines, junk mail, newspaper, computer paper, notebook paper phone books, paperback books, construction paper, brown paper bags.
- BOXES – milk or juice cartons (empty), cardboard boxes, food boxes (clean – no food). All large boxes should be broken down and placed by your recycle container.
- PLASTICS– #1-7: drink bottles and their caps, detergent & cleaner bottles and their caps, yogurt/cottage cheese and other dairy “tubs” and their lids (please empty containers) and plastic trays, such as the lunchable type containers (any color except black trays – optical sorting machines can’t see them).
- METAL/ALUMINUM CANS – empty food and drink cans, foils and trays.
DO NOT RECYCLE: plastic bags, black plastic trays, clamshells (fast food take out), Styrofoam, paint cans, aerosol cans, egg cartons, glass.
Trash & Recycle Collection Days
|Monday Streets||Tuesday Streets|
|Belle Meade Blvd||Abbot Martin Rd|
|Bellevue Drive S||Bonaventure Place|
|Bellevue Drive W||Cherokee Circle|
|Brookfield Ave E||Drew Place|
|Brookfield Ave W (400 Block only)||Ellendale Ave|
|Canterbury Dr||Gerald Place|
|Carriage Hill||Glen Eden Dr|
|Chancery Lane||Honeywood Dr|
|Chickering Lane||Howell Place|
|Chickering Rd||Lillywood Rd|
|Clarendon Ave||Lynwood Blvd***|
|Cornwall Ave||Lynwood Lane|
|Deer Park Circle||Lynwood Terrace|
|Deer Park Dr||Malone Place|
|Enquirer Ave||Millrace Lane|
|Evelyn Ave||Park Center Dr|
|Forsythe Place||Royal Oaks Dr|
|Georgian Place||Royal Oaks Place|
|Harding Place||Scotland Place|
|Herbert Place||Shepard Place|
|Iroquois Ave||Signal Hill Dr|
|Jackson Blvd||Sunnybrook Dr (4300 Block only)|
|Leake Ave (even 200-400, 407, 409)||Sunnyside Dr|
|Manor Dr||Trimble Rd (#3912, 3915, 3917)|
|Nichol Lane||Truxon Place|
|Paddock Lane||Valley Forge (#86, 87, 88, 89, 90)|
|Page Rd||Walnut Dr|
|Park Hill||Webster Lane|
|Parmer Ave||Westhampton Place|
|Sutherland Ave||Westview Ave|
|West Tyne Dr|
|Westover Ave (600 Block, even #s only)|
|*** (800 & 900 Blocks – odd #s only)|
Access to Dumpsters Behind City Hall
• Dumpsters are open to residents from sunrise to sundown, 7 days a week. If there are times when all three dumpsters are full, we will close them off until the trash contractor can empty them.
• The access door to the dumpsters will remain locked at all times. Residents should press the call button on the intercom located at the access door and show a valid government issued ID. The dispatcher in the police department will be able to view your ID to verify that you are a Belle Meade resident before unlocking the door.
• If you regularly send someone else to the dumpsters, such as hired staff, you will need to call City Hall and give us the name of the person who works for you. We will maintain a list of these folks, and they will have to show their ID before being allowed access to the dumpsters.
• Please be aware of the signage posted at the dumpster area indicating what items are not accepted at this site. Household discards such as toys, broken items or items too large to fit inside your weekly trash receptacle may be placed in the three dumpsters located directly behind City Hall. Items such as paint cans, batteries, yard waste, mattresses, electronics, furniture, and construction debris CANNOT be placed in these dumpsters.
• Some items will have to be taken to one of four Metro Public Works convenience centers that accept all recyclables, bulky items and household trash. To learn more, visit Residential Waste & Recycling Facilities
Rules for Paint Disposal
Latex paint and stains can be safely be put in the garbage for disposal at a landfill, as long as the paint is dry or solidified first. Dumped illegally, liquid latex paint can be a hazard by plugging or damaging septic fields, overloading sewage treatment plants and creating environmental hazards on the ground. Residents should dry out latex paint and stains and put it in the garbage with the lid off. To learn more about methods for proper paint disposal, click here.
Brush Collection and Chipper Service
Chipper Service is contracted separately from garbage pick-up and occurs on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of each week. The chipper service is designed for pickup of grass, shrubbery, cuttings, tree leaves, small tree branches, bushes, fruits, or any other matter usually created in the care of lawns and gardens. Tree trimmings shall have a trunk not to exceed four (4) inches in diameter, and shall be no more than eight (8) feet in length or six (6) feet across in the lap or crown. Twigs, leaves, small debris, and grass clippings shall be bagged, bag weight not to exceed 50 pounds. If a homeowner has contracted with a tree removal service to cut down large trees on their property, the homeowner is responsible for removal of the tree and related debris. The City chipper service is not set up to provide this service. Your pickup day will depend on which street you live.
Brush Collection and Chipper Service Route
|Belle Meade Blvd.||Chancery Ln.||Abbot Martin|
|Bellevue Dr. S & W.||Chickering Ln. & Rd.||Glen Eden Dr. – Westview-Lynwood|
|Bellevue Dr. W.||Drew Pl.||Iroquois Ave. Westview-Lynwood|
|Bonaventure Place||E. Brookfield Pl.||Lillywood|
|Canterbury Dr.||Forsythe Pl.||Lynwood Blvd.|
|Carriage Hill||Georgian Pl.||Lynwood Ln.|
|Clarendon Ave.||Glen Eden Dr. – Jackson-Westview||Lynwood Terrace|
|Cornwall Ave||Harding Place – BMB-Lynwood||Millrace Ln.|
|Deer Park Cir.||Herbert Pl.||Royal Oaks Dr.|
|Deer Park Dr.||Iroquois Ave. – BMB-Westview||Royal Oaks Pl.|
|Ellendale Ave.||Jackson Blvd. – Gerald-Warner||Signal Hill Dr.|
|Enquirer Ave.||Manor Dr.||Sunnybrook Dr. (4300 block)|
|Evelyn Ave.||Page Rd. (1300 block)||Trimble Rd. (3912, 3915, 3917)|
|Gerald Pl.||Shepard Pl.||Valley Forge (86, 87, 88, 89, 90)|
|Harding Place – BMB-Westover||Tyne Blvd.||Walnut Dr.|
|Honeywood Dr.||Warner Pl.||Webster Ln.|
|Howell Pl.||Westview Ave. (405 – 720)||Westhampton Pl.|
|Iroquois Ave. – BMB – Enquirer||Westview Ave. (810 – 923)|
|Jackson Blvd. – Harding – Gerald|
|Leake Ave. (200 – 400 even #s)|
|Page Rd. (424 & 426)|
|Park Center Dr.|
|W. Brookfield Dr. – 400 block|
|W. Tyne Dr.|
|Westover Dr. (even – 600 block)|
Snow & Ice Removal Policy
The Public Works Department has the responsibility for snow and ice removal on City streets. The snow and ice removal is performed by a private service who is under contract with the City. The Public Works Director (PWD) is responsible for direct supervision of the contractor’s crew while they are in the City.
The City reserves the right to modify this snow and ice removal policy at any time or for any storm event depending upon, but not limited to, the weather conditions, intensity/duration of the storm, and accumulation of snow and/or ice.
- Download a printable version of the policy here.
- See a map of the areas to be treated initially here.
Please refer comments or questions about the Snow & Ice Removal Policy to:
Larry Smith, Director of Public Works
Beth Reardon, City Manager
Permit to Cut Streets
A permit is required any time excavation in the R-O-W or in the paved area of the street is to be done. There is a fee for this permit. For questions, please contact the Public Works Director.
To read the traffic engineering report for the Jackson Boulevard Traffic Calming Study click here.