The city hall property and original building at 4705 Harding Road were acquired in 1950. Previously, the building housed a service station and a “pub.” Over several decades, this building was modified and additions made to accommodate the city hall administrative offices and police department. In 2005, faced with renovating an outdated and overcrowded structure or building a new city hall, the Commissioners chose to demolish the old city hall building and construct a new one in its place. In August 2006, the new city hall was finished and opened its doors to the public.
The new 8,450 square foot city hall building contains administrative offices for the elected officials, city manager, city recorder, court clerk and the building and zoning department as well as a conference room and kitchen (4,265 SF), a multi-purpose/meeting room and lobby (1,635 SF) and a secure police department wing (2,550 SF).
The public works department operates from a recently renovated spacious garage located directly behind city hall.